Paid Support for iMX6 Port

Michel Kohanim michel at universal-devices.com
Tue Aug 2 22:12:42 UTC 2016

Hi Russell,

Thanks so very much for getting in touch. Hopefully the experienced iMX6 developer will chime in. Again, I am willing to pay for services and then share the results with the community.

1. Would love to read your notes on Hummingboard. I am using Wandboard and Wandboard Dual for testing purposes and have been able to get FreeBSD binary image (from the website) loaded and functioning albeit it's way too slow even for rudimentary tasks such as vi (on the Solo). I suspect 512MB is not sufficient. Ultimately, I would like to be able to make a smaller image ourselves but have been having a hell of a time with Crochet

2. The ultimate plan is to use iMX SCM which is a chip with RAM already pushed on the top. This will reduce board size

3. I detest OpenSSL ... it's just way too bloated and I couldn't dislodge it from my running FreeBSD desktop (had to reinstall everything)

4. SDIO is not as urgent since we can use those little USB sticks for WiFi and Bluetooth (I have one attached to Wandboard and it works fine). This said - and if we cannot use some type of flash for the operating system - then we cannot use an extra SD Card since the main one is being used by the OS

5. RTC on I2C ... iMX already has an RTC on board. So, it would be quite shameful if we will have to put another RTC on board just because we cannot get FreeBSD to communicate with the internal RTC

6. NAND flash/eMMC ... our main goal is that - at the minimum - the kernel should be on a flash chip of some sort so that boot up does NOT require an SD Card. Are you aware of any flash chip that can be used by uboot to boot FreeBSD?

7. iMX6 already has cryptographic accelerators ... it would be quite a shame if we cannot use them

8. SATA ... may be an interesting option instead of using flash. The main issue is that our products are price sensitive and using SATA adds at least $10.00 to the BOM. As such - or unless I am mistaken on the price - SATA is not a requirement for me

Thanks again.

With kind regards,

  Michel Kohanim
  CEO