Paid Support for iMX6 Port

Michel Kohanim michel at universal-devices.com
Wed Aug 3 00:35:01 UTC 2016

eMMC is also OK.

With kind regards,

******************************
  Michel Kohanim
  CEO

  (p) 818.631.0333
  (f)  818.436.0702
  http://www.universal-devices.com
******************************

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Haley [mailto:russ.haley at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:25 PM
To: Warner Losh <wlosh at bsdimp.com>
Cc: Michel Kohanim <michel at universal-devices.com>; freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: Paid Support for iMX6 Port

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Warner Losh <wlosh at bsdimp.com> wrote:

>>> No, there is no support at this time. There is basic NAND support on
>>> one of the chips, but it has proven to be too deficient to be of
>>> much use (single bit parity, no use of hardware ECC and other major
>>> deficiencies).
>> Sorry, even if there was a driver for it, there is no Filesystem
>> designed to use eMMC or NAND directly. My understanding is typically
>> the flash controller provides a standardized SATA path for accessing
>> the NAND as if it's a disk (yet another developer make speak more to
>> this). GNU/Linux equivalent is yaffs or jfs2 (I think).
>
> nandfs will work on NAND directly, but needs lots of work.
>
> ufs works fine on eMMC since the eMMC parts do wear leveling in the
> part. It isn’t designed specifically for that, but thousands of
> systems are running ufs on SD cards just fine and eMMC is the same
> thing (but with different low-level commands).

Sorry, absolutely correct. My mistake. My comment was in terms of boards that don't have eMMC and only raw NAND support. I think the beaglebone black (TI, not Freescale) has an eMMC chip that is available to users, but my (anecdotal) experience has been eMMC was not widely available on iMX6 boards without customization.

Russ