Fwd: Paid Support for iMX6 Port

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 22:16:57 UTC 2016

Sorry, reply instead of reply all...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 3:16 PM
Subject: Re: Paid Support for iMX6 Port
To: Michel Kohanim <michel at universal-devices.com>

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Michel Kohanim
<michel at universal-devices.com> wrote:
> Hi Russell,
>
> Thanks so very much for getting in touch. Hopefully the experienced iMX6 developer will chime in. Again, I am willing to pay for services and then share the results with the community.
>
> 1. Would love to read your notes on Hummingboard. I am using Wandboard and Wandboard Dual for testing purposes and have been able to get FreeBSD binary image (from the website) loaded and functioning albeit it's way too slow even for rudimentary tasks such as vi (on the Solo). I suspect 512MB is not sufficient. Ultimately, I would like to be able to make a smaller image ourselves but have been having a hell of a time with Crochet

Give me a few days, I just got back from vacation and kids don't sleep
well during summer hours so I have very limited time right now, but I
will get you what I have so far.

<snip>

> 6. NAND flash/eMMC ... our main goal is that - at the minimum - the kernel should be on a flash chip of some sort so that boot up does NOT require an SD Card. Are you aware of any flash chip that can be used by uboot to boot FreeBSD?
It's possible to run u-boot from NAND and then run ubldr/kernel from a
different source. It may even be possible to manually load ubldr from
NAND (or even manually load the kernel from NAND in u-boot) but you
would need to find an alternative for the kernel and rootfs,
especially if you want to update your kernel ever. Not what I would
call desirable, but I have *heard* of production systems running like
this.

> 8. SATA ... may be an interesting option instead of using flash. The main issue is that our products are price sensitive and using SATA adds at least $10.00 to the BOM. As such - or unless I am mistaken on the price - SATA is not a requirement for me
Hmmm... at work we use an apacer solder on 2 GB chip that comes in
considerably under $10 I believe. Not sure if a little 2GB chip is
still available.  http://us.apacer.com/products/SDC4-18-pin.
Regardless, there is no support at this time.

Russ