MMC cards support

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Fri Dec 14 01:26:15 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 01:26:54AM +0300, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 02:58:28PM -0700 M. Warner Losh mentioned:
> > There's no MMC support in the boot loader at the moment.  Only SD
> > support.  There's some preliminary MMC support in the infrastructure,
> > but I never fleshed it out.
>
> Well, I'm not talking about the boot loader's support, but abouth the
> support in the kernel - I need the this to mount root from. From the
> older posts I've seens that there was some secret driver - qdmmc, whicn
> supported mmc cards (if I got this correctly). Can I found this somewhere?

It was comited to perforce tree, but retired long time ago after the
new system worked - qd stands for quick'n dirty, which it really was.
It was easier for me to implement MMC since I had better documents at
that time, but SD cards are cheaper so unless you want to support
multiple cards at the same time, which is only supported by MMC, there
is no win with MMC, and qdmmc only supported a single card anyway.

> > : Also, I have a little question about if_ate. I'm receiving the error
> > : when initializing it:
> > : ate0: No MAC address setdevice_attach: ate0 attach returned 6
> >
> > This means that the MAC address wasn't set by the boot loader.
> >
> > : Is it u-boot (that I use to boot the FreeBSD kernel) sets up incorrect
> > : MAC (though the network works flawlessly in u-boot), or probably there're
> > : some other issues that can cause it?
> >
> > I tought one needed to so something special with uboot to set the MAC
> > address.  Is that not right?
> >

> Probably. It seems that FreeBSD is trying to read MAC address from the chip's
> registers, and I though that if the ethernet works in u-boot then this registers
> have been set. I'll investigate this further.

Sounds logical, but I don't know u-boot and FreeBSD won't complain
without a reason.
At least there is no standard place to get the system MAC beside the
ate registers.
Of course you can hack the ate driver and hardcode a MAC into the kernel.
Or you can switch to FreeBSDs own bootcode.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de