MMC cards support

Gary Jennejohn gary.jennejohn at freenet.de
Fri Dec 14 02:52:29 PST 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:01:28 +0100
Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely12.cicely.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 01:26:54AM +0300, Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> > Probably. It seems that FreeBSD is trying to read MAC address from the chip's
> > registers, and I though that if the ethernet works in u-boot then this registers
> > have been set. I'll investigate this further.
>
> Sounds logical, but I don't know u-boot and FreeBSD won't complain
> without a reason.
> At least there is no standard place to get the system MAC beside the
> ate registers.
> Of course you can hack the ate driver and hardcode a MAC into the kernel.
> Or you can switch to FreeBSDs own bootcode.

u-boot passes this information to Linux in the board info (bd_t)
structure at boot time.  A lot of Linux ethernet drivers read the MAC
out of this structure and then set it in the hardware/software.

Very few u-boot ethernet drivers set the MAC in the hardware themselves.

With FreeBSD this mechanism is missing.

--
Gary Jennejohn