NFS version 4.0 for FreeBSD-CURRENT

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 15 14:07:54 PDT 2009

* Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> [090315 13:57] wrote:

> As far as the server goes, I'd have to look. NFSv4 locking
> doesn't use lockd, but my server does grab byte range locks
> through the VFS and I suspect lockd sees those, just like
> any other process sees them. (One advantage of NFSv4 is
> integrated locking that seems to work well.)

I think the way that kernel server NFS lockd works is that it sits
here:
V TCPIP
V lockd -> calls ASYNC locks down (expects callback)
V VFS -> calls back to lockd when locks are acquired

It's _not_ like this:
V TCPIP
V lockd -> calls SYNC locks down
V VFS
V lockd -> stuff

so unless your server uses the async lock facility, you'll
wind up with your server context blocked in VFS waiting
for locks.

(I think.)

-Alfred