NFS version 4.0 for FreeBSD-CURRENT

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 15 14:07:34 PDT 2009

* Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> [090315 13:03] wrote:
> As some of you might already know, I have been working on an
> implementation of NFSv4.0 for BSD for some time now. My original
> interest in NFSv4.0 came about because I felt that a component
> of it called delegations might permit significant performance
> improvements along the lines of what I had hoped to achieve with
> an experimental protocol I called Not Quite NFS long long ago.
> So, what do folks think? rick
> ps: I haven't even looked at NFSv4.1 implementation yet.

I think this is awesome!

I think it wise to look at 4.1 and scoping that out before taking
the time to integrate this to gain an understanding of:

1) what it would take to get to 4.1?
2) how we would interoperate with other machines until we
get 4.1 (is everyone doing 4.0 or 4.1?).  When will 4.1 become
the defacto standard (is it already?)?
3) trade-off between taking the 4.0 code or how we can
get 4.1 first before integration.  This is important because
the bug reports on 4.0 can swamp someone and prevent new feature
development (4.1).

You know more about it than most of us, so can you take some time
to look at 4.1 and give some guestimates so we can gauge what to
do next?

Again, this is really cool and I apologize if 4.1 is something far
out on the horizon, I just am approaching this from an integration
perspective, not as an authority on NFSv4 standardization process.

If the case is 4.1 is some number of years out, then I think my
answer is "let's get this in ASAP!", otherwise we should think
about it.

thank you,
--
- Alfred Perlstein