NFS version 4.0 for FreeBSD-CURRENT

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Mar 15 13:56:24 PDT 2009

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> Q: Does this support NFSv4 ACLs?  As I recall,
> trasz@ has NFSv4 patches in P4 that have yet to
> be merged; I've been waiting on that to work on
> NFSv4 support for tar/cpio.

It works fine with it. Most of the work w.r.t.
ACLs is in the local file systems on the server.
(It just required a little bit of tweaking of my
code, which was done a few months ago.)

> Q:  How does this relate to the new NFS lockd
> recently committed? (by Doug Rabson?  I can't
> remember now.)

They will share the same RPC code, once I have completed
the conversion. I basically just copied the client side
lock code over into nfsclient, but have never tested it.

As far as the server goes, I'd have to look. NFSv4 locking
doesn't use lockd, but my server does grab byte range locks
through the VFS and I suspect lockd sees those, just like
any other process sees them. (One advantage of NFSv4 is
integrated locking that seems to work well.)

[good stuff w.r.t. integration snipped for brevity]

rick