/usr/portsnap vs. /var/db/portsnap

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 7 08:10:37 GMT 2005

Hiroki Sato wrote:
>  Is the server-side part of portsnap available now?

There is code for creating a portsnap mirror, but I don't think you really
want that...

>  I am interested in
>  mirroring since portsnap.daemonology.net is too far from my box in Japan.

... instead, assuming that "too far" really means "too slow", try running
the latest version of portsnap from the ports tree (version 0.9.4) using
the -x option.  That will enable "experimental" pipelined http code which
speeds up operation by a factor of 10 or more.

Colin Percival