The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 21:36:15 PST 2005

--- Erich Dollansky <oceanare at pacific.net.sg> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 06:10:55PM -0800, stheg olloydson wrote:
> >

> >>Core being Core will do what they think is best, and they have
> every
> >>right to. That's not my point. My point is the discussion took
> place in
> >>secret. What I am suggesting is that when certain discussions take
> >>place that they be publicly readable.
> >

> > Again, FreeBSD has never worked that way, but if you think it
> should
> > then you should raise the suggestion with core.
> >
> Could this be the real reason for the "acceptance" problem?
>
> In the same moment, this is also the reason for its strengths. A
> small
> number of people "controls" FreeBSD giving it a direction they think
> is
> best.
>
> This concept is what companies do not understand.
>
> If companies use Linux, they do it because it "comes" from IBM or any
>
> other big vendor. If something goes wrong they go back to the vendor
> with the big name.
>
> I do not see FreeBSD make bigger waves as long as this does not
> change
> not matter what name or logo FreeBSD uses.
>
> So, why do it then?
>
> Erich

Hello,

I don't think I follow you. FBSD having Core is a Good Thing. Unlike
several other OSs, FBSD is the only one, AFAIK, that has an elected
group running things. This ensures continuity of direction and lessens
the chance of false step that a single person might take. When I do
presentations, I always mention this fact.
As for Linux coming from a big vendor, when the company for which I
work does an installation, the customer calls _us_ for support, not MS,
Redhat, etc. - if they buy a support contract, which most do. Why?
Because we're the ones that told them what they should buy and that
should buy it from us.
I've read posts from people saying that they're tired of explaining
Beastie. I don't remember anyone ever asking about it. In my ~9 years
of dealing with FBSD, by far the biggest problem has been name
recognition. All most every time I have presented it, I have been
asked, "If it's so good, why haven't I heard of it." That's hard to
explain, and it's very hard to convince someone that something they've
never saw mentioned in the computer press is any good. (The name makes
this particular problem even worse, but I think if the name were to
become well-known, the unfortunate connotation of "free" would become
irrelevant.)
Regarding your last question, why do what?

Regards,

stheg