The only worthwhile logo-related comments so far....

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Sun Feb 13 08:48:36 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 17:45 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg writes:
>
> > Linux is controlled by Linus Torvalds, who clearly is outnumbered
> > by core by an order of magnitute. I fail to see why core
> > directing the project makes it impossible to gain support from
> > IBM or any other giant.
>
> It's not that it makes it impossible to get support, it's just that the
> support isn't there right now, which may worry potential users.
>
> And since Linux is controlled by Linus, that provides a target to aim
> for if something goes wrong.  Large customers experiencing problems with
> Linux could potentially make life very unpleasant for Linus, which in
> turn is an incentive for him to remain disciplined and careful, which in
> turn reassures large customers.
>
> Essentially large customers want accountability and responsibility. They
> want people who will respond if something goes wrong, and they want
> people who are at risk if something goes wrong, because that risk
> motivates them to act to fix any problems that arise. These elements are
> lacking with FreeBSD, because nobody in particular seems to be obligated
> to respond if something goes wrong, and nobody in particular seems to be
> at any specific risk if he or she fails to fix a problem. This means
> that large customers must take a lot of risk themselves without any
> compensating risk on the part of the organization supplying the
> software.

Sorry, but this simply isn't true. Nobody from Linux is required to
respond to your problems, unless you've paid a company (IBM, RedHat,
etc) to do so. If this is precisely what you mean and you think there is
no support for FreeBSD whatsoever, I reiterate: there are several
companies, inclusive Offmyserver, who provide FreeBSD support for their
customers.

Please stop attaching these threads to questions@; they're off-topic
there.

--Devon