Sony VGN-A290

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Wed Dec 29 15:28:44 PST 2004

Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:28:32AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
>
>>Josef Karthauser wrote:
>>
>>>Also, there are some funny things happening with sound.  I can't get any
>>>audio out from the CD player (using cdcontrol to play) although I can
>>>hear mp3s.  Also, when the laptop is connected to the docking station I
>>>can't get any sound out of the connected speakers.  Do you know what
>>>might be wrong?
>>
>>Uh, did you set mixer correctly for the CD player?
>>

> Yup, the defaults appear to be ok.
>
> My guess is that the cd audio is routed via the laptop controller or
> something.  There's something funny going on.  The docking station has
> it's own amp and speakers and when the laptop is plugged into it I get
> no sound out at all, but it returns when I disconnect the laptop; the
> internal speakers get re-enabled.

Oh, I see.  I thought you couldn't hear the CD player whether or not you
are docked.  You can see your ACPI view of the device tree with:

    acpidump -d | grep Device

You'll probably have a DCK (dock) device that has some sound device
under it.  We don't have much docking support currently but if you boot
while docked, devices on it should work fine.  I have patches for basic
docking support but the problem is there are many device drivers that
don't handle this properly yet.  For instance, if you have a floppy
drive bay in the dock, the fdc(4) driver doesn't know yet how to handle
an undock event.  We're just lucky that most laptops so far let the BIOS
handle things.

--
Nate