Sony VGN-A290

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 29 12:12:41 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:28:32AM -0800, Nate Lawson wrote:
> Josef Karthauser wrote:
> >Also, there are some funny things happening with sound.  I can't get any
> >audio out from the CD player (using cdcontrol to play) although I can
> >hear mp3s.  Also, when the laptop is connected to the docking station I
> >can't get any sound out of the connected speakers.  Do you know what
> >might be wrong?
>
> Uh, did you set mixer correctly for the CD player?

Yup, the defaults appear to be ok.

    genius% mixer
    Mixer vol      is currently set to  90:90
    Mixer pcm      is currently set to  80:80
    Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
    Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
    Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
    Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
    Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
    Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
    Recording source: mic

My guess is that the cd audio is routed via the laptop controller or
something.  There's something funny going on.  The docking station has
it's own amp and speakers and when the laptop is plugged into it I get
no sound out at all, but it returns when I disconnect the laptop; the
internal speakers get re-enabled.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/