Question on domain validation

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Tue Aug 10 09:50:54 PDT 2004

> Dear listmembers,
> I use a system having one symbios 2-chanel and one adaptec controler onboard.
> The operating system is linux for sparc, kernel 2.4.26, driver version 6.3.9.
>
> I call the driver with the following options (in the initramdisk):
>
> insmod aic7xxx aic7xxx=verbose.dv:{0}
>
> What I get can be seen in the attachement. dv[0]=0.
> Nevertheless, the device starts entering the DV-thread:
> scsi2: Waking DV thread
> ***
> scsi2: Beginning Domain Validation
> scsi2:A:0:0: Perfomring DV
> ***
>
> How should the commandline for the module look like?

No matter what arguments you give the driver, the domain validation
thread will always run to perform an inquiry scan of new devices.  This
is required in order to determine the negotiation capabilities of the
device.  The dv setting only controls whether the domain validation
thread goes on to perform transport robustness testing after doing
the inquiry scan.

--
Justin