2.1.8X boot hangs on 2940UW controller...

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Mar 9 15:06:10 PST 1998

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:

> > controller (I'm running a SuperMicro P6DLS dual PII with onboard
> > 2940UW), initializes it, and gets to the message:
>
> That motherboard has reportedly had some problems.  Rumour has it
> that upgrading to Adaptec BIOS version 1.25 solves the problem
> (1.24 will not work).  Or try building your kernel without SMP
> support - perhaps that'll temporarily work around the problem.
> Search the FreeBSD SMP mailing list archives for P6DLS for reports
> on this motherboard.

Hmmm.  When I search their archive I get only one message that says that
a P6DLF with a 2940u2w is not detected at boot.  The same message says
that a P6DLS is probed and detected just fine with the defaults, which
is also my experience with all the 2.0.3X kernels and all the recent
(>4.0) aic7xxx drivers.  The kernel I'm writing this message under is
2.0.33 with 5.0.7/3.2.2 installed and the onboard 2940UW (as far as I
can tell) works perfectly.  I also searched on generic 2940UW and
aic7xxx plus "scanning" hangs, but got nothing like the message I'm
seeing.

Your idea of trying to build and boot a non-SMP kernel is sensible and
I'll give it a try.  At the very least, I might isolate the problem as
being in the SMP vs. the non-SMP code, and it would be cool to get even
a non-SMP 2.1.X kernel to boot...

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu