2.1.8X boot hangs on 2940UW controller...

Daniel M. Eischen deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org
Mon Mar 9 14:04:49 PST 1998

> I have been having severe stability problems with 2.0.33, probably
> associated with a race condition on the fast ethernet interrupt channel
> that leads either to a deadlock or a corrupted kernel (and either way to
> a nasty crash) whenever my dual PII's or dual PPro's are hit with a high
> packet density (anything much bigger than 25 Kpps).
>
> One suggestion that was made to try to "fix" the problem with to bite
> the bullet and shift to 2.1.X kernels.  I have therefore spent a couple
> of days trying to get a 2.1.88 kernel (with or without
> pre-patch-2.1.89-5 applied) to compile and boot on my system.  I have
> upgraded modules, binutils, libc, ld.so and mount.  I configure and
> compile the kernel with aic7xxx support without incident.  However, when
> I try to boot the kernel, it correctly detects my onboard 2940UW
> controller (I'm running a SuperMicro P6DLS dual PII with onboard
> 2940UW), initializes it, and gets to the message:

That motherboard has reportedly had some problems.  Rumour has it
that upgrading to Adaptec BIOS version 1.25 solves the problem
(1.24 will not work).  Or try building your kernel without SMP
support - perhaps that'll temporarily work around the problem.
Search the FreeBSD SMP mailing list archives for P6DLS for reports
on this motherboard.

Dan Eischen
deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org