LIUNX: Hacking 5.0.19/2.1.107 to detect/support 2940U2W?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jun 30 09:07:21 PDT 1998

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Greg Wickham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've spent a few hours over the last couple of days hacking
> the aic7xxx driver (V5.0.19) in kernel version 2.1.107 to detect
> and support an Adaptec 2940U2W (Ultra2 LVD controller).
>
> I have *NO* idea if I am on the right track or not. Currently
> I'm just working through the FreeBSD cam code (from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/) and adding things which
> aren't apparent or seem Ultra2 specific into the aic7xxx driver.
>
> At the moment, the 2940U2W card is detected through pci, and
> then the card is reset. However, while scanning the scsi bus,
> it continually times out and attempts to query id 0.
>
> The controller has an LVD hard disk at scsi id 6, narrow
> ultra cd roms are at 3 and 5. At the moment, I'm really only
> interested in getting the cdroms going (bread and butter).
> The hard disk can wait. From the comments in the freebsd cam
> code it seems that LVD harddrives haven't been checked/verified
> yet, so I'm not too worried.
>
> Does anyone feel like lending a hand? I'm in the middle of exam
> marking (*sigh*) and am only using this as a distraction
> infrequently. If there is any interest I'll make a snap shot of
> the patches to the above kernel/driver version and put them
> up on the WWW.

Well, driven by need and desperation, what else can I do?  We just got
16 dual PII's, all with 7860's (so far so good) and 7890's (uhhh, BAD)
onboard.  SO, it is time for me to tackle the U2W problem anyway, and
if you have a start for me, so much the better.

Send me a URL, together (if you don't mind) with a short note on what
you've already done and I'll have at it.

    rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu