Ultra-2 etc.

Neilski neil.conway at ukaea.org.uk
Mon Jun 29 07:14:37 PDT 1998

[I just subscribed to this list, and can't find a digest, so I apologise
if this has become a FAQ.  Pointers to FAQ's will be most welcome.]

What is the status of Ultra-2 (2940U2W) Adaptec support ?  I hear that
Adaptec are being co-operative and providing help now...

Specifically, I am purchasing a Dell Workstation 410 which (AFAIK) has
on-board 2940U2W *and* 2940UW.  The disks are also U2/LVD/Wide.  As
you might guess, I'd like to use Linux on this machine, but Usenet
reports suggest that the current aic7xxx driver won't work.

People also suggest that some versions of the 2940UW don't even work,
perhaps due to BIOS revisions ?

Helpful sorts who don't mind straying off list-topic may be able to answer
another question of mine:  if I take the U2/LVD disks and put them onto an
ordinary 2940UW or other supported controller, will they work ?  Or must
they have an LVD controller ?  I'm a little in the dark about much of this.

thanks in advance for any help/pointers,
Neil Conway
UKAEA Fusion
neil.conway at ukaea.org.uk