Narrow Drive detected as Wide...

Brian Ristuccia brianr at osiris.ml.org
Mon Jun 29 06:36:50 PDT 1998

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Frederick (Rick) A Niles wrote:

> I've had a Micropolis 3387NS Ultra/Narrow drive
> (drive chip: AIC8325M) working with my NCR-810
> SCSI controller.  However, I'm upgrading to
> an Intel Providence MB with an on-board AIC-7880P.
> It only had a wide (68 pin) connector so I had
> to get an adapter to my 50 pin (narrow) drive.

I use one of these 3387 drives -- fast little sucker. Too bad it heats up
so much it needs a fan blowing on it 24/7...

I have a pr440fx motherboard coming soon. I didn't realize it has only the
wide connector. We'll need to find a 68->50 adaptor that includes proper
termination, I think. I'm not sure if simply enabling high byte
termination on the controller would take care of this.

Let me know about your results, as I will soon have the same setup.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr at osiris.ml.org
bristucc at baynetworks.com