Narrow Drive detected as Wide...

Frederick (Rick) A Niles niles at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jun 29 05:22:04 PDT 1998

I've had a Micropolis 3387NS Ultra/Narrow drive
(drive chip: AIC8325M) working with my NCR-810
SCSI controller.  However, I'm upgrading to
an Intel Providence MB with an on-board AIC-7880P.
It only had a wide (68 pin) connector so I had
to get an adapter to my 50 pin (narrow) drive.

I been trying to boot linux-2.1.107 using this
setup and the drive always comes up with offset 15.
I believe this means it thinks the drive is wide.
Once it gets to examining the partitions the kernel
crashes with a general protection 00.  I believe this
is because the software thinks it's a wide drive, but
it's really narrow.

I've tried hacking at the drive to force narrow to
no avail and I was wonder if: (a) someone could help
me tmp. force all my drives to narrow (since I have
no wide drives at this time). and, (b) help me fix this
problem "correctly" so this drive get detected by the
aic7xxx driver in the proper manner.

Also, could it be the Wide-to-Narrow adapter's fault?
I was under the impression that this could be a dumb
device that just dropped the extra lines.  I got it
a Micro-Center (i.e. I didn't make it myself), but...

Also, I could be on the wrong track altogether.

Also, I'm not yet on this mailing list so please
cc: any response to: niles at axp745.gsfc.nasa.gov

Thanks,
Rick Niles.