aic7895 linux-2.0.34, intel dx440lx dual motherboard

K. Nikolaj Berntsen berntsen at bkm.dtu.dk
Thu Jun 18 08:28:52 PDT 1998

Dear everybody,

Sorry to interrupt if this is a faq, but I am completely new to this list.
A pointer to the answer might do.

I have a PII333 dual on a intel dx440lx motherboard. I have redhat 4.2
installed on ide-disks. So that part is OK.

I have (for the test case only) atached a single scsi toshiba cd-rom xm
6201b on channel a, which is terminated by jumper setting. It is reported
to have id 1. The cabling looks like

daughter card --------- motherboard ----------- cd-rom
I have enabled termination of the motherboard part.

the scsi bios is reportedly:
adaptec aic7895 scsi bios 1.32S2 - idk4

I have tried both with and without the patch found on
ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx
aic7xxx-5.0.19-2.0.34.patch

I try to compile the 2.0.34-kernel with support for the aic7895, but when
I boot it I get the somewhat cryptic messages:

++++++++++
aic7xxx: warning detected autotermination of controller
	adaptec aic7895 ultra scsi host adapter at pci 9/1
	please verify that driver detected settings are correct
	if not please properly set device termination in the adaptec scsi
	bios by hitting ctrl+a when prompted during boot.
	Cables present (Int-50 YES, INT-68 YES, Ext 68 YES)
	Illegal cable configuration !! Only two connectors on the
	controller may be in use at a time!
	Termination (Low OFF, high OFF)
(scsi0) >Adaptec aic7895 ultra scsi host adapter: foun on pci 9/0
	Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7 32/255 SCB's
	BIOS enabled, io port 0x0 IRQ 0
	IO memory at 0x0 MMAP Memory at 0x0
	couldn't register IRQ 0,Ignoring
(scsi0) >Adaptec aic7895 ultra scsi host adapter: foun on pci 9/1
	Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7 32/255 SCB's
	BIOS enabled, io port 0x0 IRQ 0
	IO memory at 0x0 MMAP Memory at 0x0
	couldn't register IRQ 0,Ignoring
scsi:	0 hosts
	detected total
Partition check
	hda
+++++++++++++
Then it were hanging.

Clearly I want it to use IRQ 11 and memory F400h and F800h, not the ones
reported. How do I do that?
The cabling report bothers me, since there is only a cable on Channel A.
Channel B (which have two outlets, 16 and 8 bit) have nothing attached.

When the driver is includes in the kernel I cannot see the whole message
because it locks.

When I compile it as a module and issue (only with patch):
insmod aic7xxx aic7xxx='verbose'

I get the message:
Unknown interrupt
(scsi0) Couldn't register IRQ 0, ignoring
(scsi0) Couldn't register IRQ 0, ignoring
scsi: 0 hosts
Initialisation of aic7xxx failed
Unknown interrupt.

Then the system is _dead_

Happy computing :-)
Nikolaj
| Ph.D. stud., cand.scient.				     |
| K. Nikolaj Berntsen					     |
| Office: Department of Structural Engineering and Materials |
|	  Technical University of Denmark		     |
|	  Building 118, room 152			     |
|	  DK-2800 Lyngby				     |
|	  Tel +45 4525 1769				     |
|	  Fax +45 4588 3282				     |