aic7895, 35pre1, intel dx440lx dual motherboard, irq 0

K. Nikolaj Berntsen berntsen at bkm.dtu.dk
Tue Jun 23 05:44:32 PDT 1998

Dear everybody (sorry troy, if you get this twice),

This is another error report on the aic7895 on the intel dx440lx.

I have now tried with Alan Cox's 35pre1 patch applied to the clean 2.0.34
source tree. I get slightly changed error messages.

The core of the problem seems to be that my scsi-controller gets assigned
irq 0 and memory 0x0.

To recapitulate:
I have a PII333 dual on a intel dx440lx motherboard. I have redhat 4.2
installed on ide-disks. So that part is OK.
I have (for the test case only) atached a single scsi toshiba cd-rom xm
6201b on channel a, which is terminated by jumper setting. It is reported
to have id 1. The cabling looks like

daughter card --------- motherboard ----------- cd-rom
I have enabled termination of the motherboard part.

the scsi bios is reportedly:
adaptec aic7895 scsi bios 1.32S2 - idk4

New kernel messages I have written down (by hand):
+++++++++++++++++++++++
(scsi0) <Adaptec aic7895 ultra scsi host adapter>: found on pci 9/0
(scsi0) Wide Channel A, SCSI ID=7, unknown interrupt 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) BIOS enabled, IO port 0x0 IRQ 0
(scsi0) IO memory at 0x0 MMAP Memory at 0x0
(scsi0) Couldn't register IRQ 0,Ignoring
(scsi0) <Adaptec aic7895 ultra scsi host adapter: foun on pci 9/1
(scsi0)	Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7 32/255 SCB's
(scsi0)	BIOS enabled, io port 0x0 IRQ 0
(scsi0)	IO memory at 0x0 MMAP Memory at 0x0
(scsi0)	couldn't register IRQ 0,Ignoring
scsi: 0 hosts
scsi: detected total

<snip>
Partition check
 hda:
+++++++++++++
Then it were hanging.

Clearly I want it to use IRQ 11 and memory F400h and F800h, not the ones
reported. How do I do that?

Have a nice day.
Nikolaj
| Ph.D. stud., cand.scient.				     |
| K. Nikolaj Berntsen					     |
| Office: Department of Structural Engineering and Materials |
|	  Technical University of Denmark		     |
|	  Building 118, room 152			     |
|	  DK-2800 Lyngby				     |
|	  Tel +45 4525 1769				     |
|	  Fax +45 4588 3282				     |