LILO problem after changing to Adaptec 2940U

Chris Evans C.Evans at sghms.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 23:30:19 PST 1998

My problem is that booting from the hard disc gets LI but not LO,
i.e. LILO isn't mounting linux.  Two people (many thanks)
suggested I instruct lilo to use linear addressing either by using the
lilo -l option or putting "linear" into /etc/lilo.conf.  This sounds very
promising but I think the way that changing from a dawicontrol (ncr)
to the Adaptec 2940U changes the perceived geometry is more
serious than this.  After booting in rescue mode from the
resc1440.bin floppy lilo (with or without linear mode) returns:

Device 0x0800: Invalid partition table, 1st entry
     3D address:   1/1/0 (32)
     Linear address: 30/1/0 (61)

-v shows it's reading /dev/sda1 (correct) for that error message so I
seem to be caught in a bind that the resc floppy can mount the
drive but the geometry has been changed so fundamentally I can't
rewrite the bootable version of linux in a way that lilo will use.

I'm back to you all again.  Any suggestions?  (The old controller is
happily running another machine miles away and I can't find
another like it around and I'd hate to ditch the money I spent on the
Adaptec so ... yes, ... I too would like to do the sensible thing but
can't !!)

TIA,

Chris

Chris Evans, R&D Consultant,