Severe filesystem corruption w/ IRQ sharing

Randy Gobbel gobbel at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 14 15:19:23 PST 1998

Thanks to the spare copy of my SCSI drive's root sector that I keep stashed on
my Mac, my Linux system is up and running again.  I can't be certain, but I'm
pretty sure that my root sector (and a bunch of others) were trashed due to
some malfunction while the 2940UW was trying to share IRQ 10 with a Promise
Ultra33.  The Promise Web site mentions that there have been problems w/ IRQ
sharing in this card, which are supposed to be fixed by BIOS version 1.25--I
have 1.23.  Fortunately, during my attempts to bring the system back to life,
the Ultra33's IRQ moved up to 14, where it's out of the way, and things seem to
be working normally.  I have no idea if there were any bugs in the aic7xxx
driver that played a part in this, but I thought I should mention it here just
so we have a data point.

Now that I'm once again able to boot 2.0.35, we'll see if the tape drive works
any better....

-Randy