Linux 2.1.119

W. Wade, Hampton whampton at staffnet.com
Fri Aug 28 13:33:26 PDT 1998

Folks, as 2.1 is nearing the end of its beta phase and I want to
test better SMP, I am attempting to use the 2.1 kernel series.
2.1.119 appears to be somewhat better than 2.1.117, however I am
experiencing the following:

        DELL Workstation 400, dual PII/300
        AHA2940UW card, bios v1.23

        RedHat 5.1 with patches, 2.1.119 kernel, SMP enabled

        SCSI 0 - SEAGATE ST19171W 9G UW
        SCSI 5 - NEC CD-ROM 464 (fast, not wide)

When booting 2.1.119, during the probe phase, I get  a
parity error during probe of ID 5.  The kernel then IDs the
device as another SEAGATE SCSI disk, not a CD-ROM.
After the probe, I get disk refusing 16-bit transfers, using
8 bit (for device 5, i.e., the CD-ROM).

   AHA-294X Ultra SCSI found at PCI 9/0
   Wide Channe, SCSI ID7, 16/255 SCBS
   Adaptec AHA274X/284X/294X (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.0.20/3.2.4
   ..
    Vendor:  SEAGATE mModel ST19171....
.
   Detected scsi disk sda...  using wide...sync at 20 MHz
   (scsi0:0:5:0) Parity error during phase command
   Vendor:  SEAGATE   Model:  ST19171....  <-- the info reported by ID
0!
    SCSI disk SDB at ...
    scsi : aborting command due to timeout: pid 15 scsi0, chanel 0, id
5, lun 1
    Test unit ready 20 00 00 00 00
    SCSI host 0 abort (pid 15) timed out - resetting
    SCSI bus is being res t for host 0 channel 0
    (scsi0:0:5:0) Refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8 bit tansfers

I did get the CD-ROM working once under 2.1.119, but
when I rebooted, it no longer worked.  This occurs with
both a cold boot and a reboot.

2.0.34 works file (2.0.35 has the timeout/retry problems
hence is not usable).  With 2.0.34, I get:
    scsi0:0:0:0 using wide transfers....
    scsi0:0:5:0 Refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8 bit transfers

Any help would be appreciated.  If you have any patches
or fixes to try, let me know and I'll try to test them next
week.  I'll be happy to use this system for testing to try to
get this darn SCSI card to work properly!

Cheers,

--
W. Wade, Hampton

Use Linux -- stability, performance, compatibility, flexibility,
scalability, and FREE!  Support Sun and the U.S. Government!