Linux 2.1.119

Ricky Beam root at defiant.interpath.net
Sat Aug 29 01:46:32 PDT 1998

Letting the chips fall where they may, I quote W. Wade, Hampton:
>When booting 2.1.119, during the probe phase, I get  a
>parity error during probe of ID 5.  The kernel then IDs the
>device as another SEAGATE SCSI disk, not a CD-ROM.
>After the probe, I get disk refusing 16-bit transfers, using
>8 bit (for device 5, i.e., the CD-ROM).
>    SCSI disk SDB at ...
>    scsi : aborting command due to timeout: pid 15 scsi0, chanel 0, id
>5, lun 1
>    Test unit ready 20 00 00 00 00
>    SCSI host 0 abort (pid 15) timed out - resetting
>    SCSI bus is being res t for host 0 channel 0
>    (scsi0:0:5:0) Refusing WIDE negotiation; using 8 bit tansfers

You didn't say if the controller was reset by the kernel prior to
scanning for devices.  I've had problems with my system doing that if
it doesn't reset the bus after downloading sequencer code.  It's looking
at a flag from the controller to see if the bus has been reset, but
sometimes it still needs to be reset anyway. (flag wrong? bug?)

--Ricky