ASUS P2B-DS

Hidong Kim emeraldkim at rocketmail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:40:21 PDT 1998

Hi, Jonas and Michael,

I just got the aic7xxx driver to work on my machine
which has the ASUS P2B-DS motherboard.  The machine:
2 x 300 MHz Pentium II, ASUS P2B-DS motherboard, 256
MB RAM, ATAPI CD-ROM, 4.5 GB IDE hard drive, 4.5 GB
SCSI hard drive on the Wide connector.  I installed
Red Hat 5.1, but the kernel in this distribution,
2.0.34, cannot support the aic7xxx driver.  You'll
need to recompile kernel 2.0.35, or 2.1.x.  I went
the 2.0.35 route.  Then you'll need the 2.0.35
aic7xxx patch, which is available at
ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/testing.
Unpack the 2.0.35 source, apply the patch, and
recompile the 2.0.35 kernel.  I built aic7xxx support
into the kernel.  Upon boot-up with 2.0.35, my SCSI
controller and hard drive were detected.  Hope this
helps!

Hidong

---Michael Kunze <mkunze at ivw.de> wrote:

> Jonas Oberg wrote:
>
> > I know some people claim to have gotten the Linux
aic7xxx driver
> > working with an ASUS P2B-DS motherboard, however,
_I_ can't get it to
> > work. Not even a little :) So would someone who
has this setup working
> > mail me a description of your setup? Right now I
have one SCSI CD-ROM
> > and one SCSI Tapedrive connected to the narrow
interface and one SCSI
> > Harddisk connected to the wide interface and the
kernel oopses when it
> > tries to probe the SCSI chain.
> >

> As i see it, there is still a severe Problem with
the narrow interface. I
> have two CD-ROMs connected to the dedicated
internal NI (8-Bit) and it
> works great. I have taken the internal-to external
SCSI-III adapter from
> the Asus accessories and have connected it to the
internal 16-Bit SE
> connector.
>
> Now, when i try to connect an external DAT
tapedrive to the SCSI-III
> external connector, the kernel hangs. I suppose it
is a termination
> problem, even though i HAVE terminated the DAT.
>
> Greetings
> Michael
>

> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at FreeBSD.org
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-aic7xxx" in the body of
the message