[Help] LILO problem.

Kevin Colby kevin at marcal.com
Fri Aug 21 08:51:25 PDT 1998

First off, Jens is 100% correct regarding sda/sda1.
I think sda1 is working.  Unless you eant to install
lilo to the MBR, in which case it should be sda (not 1).
Try sda1 first.

Keep reading, my advice is at the bottom.

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, JEONG SEOK YOUNG wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm sorry for  my terrible English.

It's pretty good, actually.

> > My system is dual pentium, intel mother board.
> > And on board AIC-7880 SCSI adapter.
> >
> > I successfully installed RedHat5.1. But When I reboot with LILO,
> > the system halted with message "LI".
> >
> > The next time, I booted with floppy, and upgrade kernel version 2.0.35
> > and compile the kernel.
> > But same problem is occured.
> >
> > * my 'lilo.conf' is below --------
> >
> >          boot=/dev/sda1
> >          map=/boot/map
> >          install=/boot/boot.b
> >          prompt
> >          timeout=5
> >          image=/boot/vmlinuz
> >          label=linux
> >          root=/dev/sda1
> >          read-only
>
> After you make and install a new kernel (which must be in
> /boot/vmlinuz, as that is where you are pointing) or make any changes
> in /etc/lilo.conf, you must run lilo.  I have typically gotten
> precisely this behavior when I have forgotten to run lilo after making
> a change.  So just boot from a floppy, mount your root filesystem on
> /mnt (if it isn't already mounted) and enter:
>
> lilo -r /mnt
>
> or if it is already mounted by your boot floppy on /, just enter
>
> lilo
>
> and your next boot should get through the kernel load, at least.  Read
> "man lilo" and/or look for help in the directories:
>
> /usr/doc/faq/howto
> /usr/doc/faq/howto/mini
>
> for nearly ANY first-time problem with linux installation or
> configuration.  Only resort to the lists for help if you cannot find
> the answer or step by step instructions therein.

Robert is also correct here.
Try that first.
However, I think you might still have trouble.
Try adding the line:

linear

to your lilo.conf.  I has the same problem with an AIC-7880
trying to boot on sda1.  Of course, you must rerun lilo
after making that change.

	- Kevin Colby
	  kevin at marcal.com