[Help] LILO problem.

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Aug 21 07:54:46 PDT 1998

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, JEONG SEOK YOUNG wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm sorry for  my terrible English.
>
> My system is dual pentium, intel mother board.
> And on board AIC-7880 SCSI adapter.
>
> I successfully installed RedHat5.1. But When I reboot with LILO,
> the system halted with message "LI".
>
> The next time, I booted with floppy, and upgrade kernel version 2.0.35
> and compile the kernel.
> But same problem is occured.
>
> * my 'lilo.conf' is below --------
>
>          boot=/dev/sda1
>          map=/boot/map
>          install=/boot/boot.b
>          prompt
>          timeout=5
>          image=/boot/vmlinuz
>          label=linux
>          root=/dev/sda1
>          read-only

After you make and install a new kernel (which must be in
/boot/vmlinuz, as that is where you are pointing) or make any changes
in /etc/lilo.conf, you must run lilo.  I have typically gotten
precisely this behavior when I have forgotten to run lilo after making
a change.  So just boot from a floppy, mount your root filesystem on
/mnt (if it isn't already mounted) and enter:

lilo -r /mnt

or if it is already mounted by your boot floppy on /, just enter

lilo

and your next boot should get through the kernel load, at least.  Read
"man lilo" and/or look for help in the directories:

/usr/doc/faq/howto
/usr/doc/faq/howto/mini

for nearly ANY first-time problem with linux installation or
configuration.  Only resort to the lists for help if you cannot find
the answer or step by step instructions therein.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu