capabilities impletementation?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 28 14:01:53 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005, Dingo wrote:

> Robert , Scott ?? You guys want to give a bit of insight see if we can
> co-ordinate this between me and Joey, I think we are willing to pitch in
> more. I know Ive been pounding SeBSD into submission, where can we merge
> and bring forth the efforts faster?? And yes.. Scott a diff drop point
> would be good for me

So an interesting question is -- if we want to move forward with the
POSIX.1e privilege/capability implementation, do we want to attempt to
make it a MAC module, or do we want to keep the implementation separate.
Right now, the trustedbsd_cap branch is quite dated, but probably isn't
all that hard to update.  It does depend on changes that are also present
in the SEBSD branch, so there is the potential to combine efforts.  On the
other hand, there are lots of changes required for both that are
dependencies of only one -- for example, the type enforcement related
changes in user space aren't required for the capability implementation.
My leaning would be to keep them in different work areas, but to share as
much of the implementation as possible.

If it would make it easier, it's pretty straight forward to arrange
perforce accounts for both of you so you can get to and work on the
TrustedBSD branches in Perforce.  If you could coordinate with Scott on
SEBSD though, this would be great.  I know that Yanjun Wu is also quite
interested in the SEBSD work, and has had his hands in some local
implementation work relating to SEBSD.  Yanjun is also already set up with
Perforce access.

The most recent integration dates for the various branches are currently:

trustedbsd base		20051110
   trustedbsd audit3	20050926
   trustedbsd mac	20051110
   trustedbsd sebsd	20050710

The CAP branch may well last have been integrated in 2001.  For that, it
might be worth starting with a cap2 branch integrated from
trustedbsd_base, and then propagating specific changes to it from the
SEBSD and CAP branches.

Robert N M Watson