SeBSD synched with 6.0 RELEASE

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 9 11:54:35 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Dingo wrote:

> So now that 6.0 is cut and RELEASE are there any plans to run a SeBSD
> snapshot ? Its would be nice to see something more current as even the
> previous snapshot was based on a dated early version of 6.). Any plans
> in the works, I see the base is current, but seBSD tree is still dated

I'm in the process of updating the TrustedBSD base branch to a recent 7.x,
and hope to finish that in the next few days.  I have plans to then merge
those changes towards the MAC branch, although that will take some time to
merge due to some conflicting changes between the base FreeBSD tree and
MAC branch.  Once those prerequisites are in place, it should be possible
to begin work on updating SEBSD to a post 6.0-RELEASE state.  One of the
conflicts introduced in earlier work was that FreeBSD has made further
moves towards using nmount(), which generated conflicts with the
introduction of a labeled mount system call in the SEBSD branch.  With the
movement towards nmount(), a special system call for a labeled mount is no
longer required, as the label can simply become an additional nmount()
argument.  However, some further tweaking and merging of that conversion
is required.  In short: currently, no ETA, but hopefully in the next month
or so.

More hands are certainly welcome :-).  The code in the SEBSD branch right
now needs to have its update to a slightly older 6.x finished as a first
step, which basically involves fixing up any continuing disruption from
the nmount change.

Robert N M Watson
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at trustedbsd.org