svn commit: r40355 - head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq
eadler at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 12 00:07:41 UTC 2012
Date: Wed Dec 12 00:07:40 2012
New Revision: 40355
Expand a bit upon the first FAQ question: "What is FreeBSD?"
and don't redirect people to the home page for further information.
Approved by: bcr (mentor)
--- head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.xml Wed Dec 12 00:07:38 2012 (r40354)
+++ head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.xml Wed Dec 12 00:07:40 2012 (r40355)
@@ -121,17 +121,18 @@
- <para>Briefly, &os; is a &unix; like operating system for
- AMD64 and &intel; EM64T, &i386; PC-98, IA-64, &arm;,
- &powerpc; and &ultrasparc; platforms based on U.C.
+ <para>&os; is a modern operating system for desktops,
+ laptops, servers, and embedded systems with
+ support for a large number of <ulink
+ <para>It is based on U.C.
Berkeley's <quote>4.4BSD-Lite</quote> release, with some
<quote>4.4BSD-Lite2</quote> enhancements. It is also based
indirectly on William Jolitz's port of U.C. Berkeley's
<quote>Net/2</quote> to the &i386;, known as
<quote>386BSD</quote>, though very little of the 386BSD code
- remains. A fuller description of what &os; is and how it
- can work for you may be found on the <ulink
- url="&url.base;/index.html">&os; home page</ulink>.</para>
<para>&os; is used by companies, Internet Service Providers,
researchers, computer professionals, students and home users
More information about the svn-doc-all