[GSoC'20 Weekly Update - Week 2] eBPF XDP Hook

Ankur Kothiwal ankur at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 17 13:16:57 UTC 2020

Hi all,
Project: Implement eBPF XDP for FreeBSD by extending VirtIO ethernet
driver if_vtnet
The goal of this project is to extend an existing FreeBSD network
driver,VirtIO if_vtnet to be able to call into an eBPF program when
processing a newly received packet. The driver will perform the basic
actions of XDP like PASS and DROP the packet as specified by the
program. The project will also implement new map type and other eBPF
helper functions.The aim of this project is to add new probe sites
into the kernel that will call eBPF functions.

Mentor: Ryan Stone <rstone@> and Hiroki Sato <hrs@>

This week I compiled and installed the changes we had made in the
kernel on the virtualbox. Also I researched about the different data
structures like trie and hash tables which will be useful to implement
XDP. Currently I am fixing the bugs encountered while compiling the
changes.

Project GSoC Wiki: https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#eBPF_XDP_Hooks
Github Repo for the code: https://github.com/rysto32/freebsd/tree/ebpf-import

For above related commits refer:
https://github.com/Ankurk99/freebsd/tree/ebpf-import

Thank you for reading. Please feel free to share your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks and Regards