libiconv - final summary

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at kovesdan.org
Mon Aug 17 14:35:53 UTC 2009

Hello,

the last week I experimented a bit with the regression test I wrote and
reduced the size of the generated data because this was the reason why I
haven't committed the reference data to p4 yet. Also, I've changed to
using library instead of statically linking everything. Th iconv stuff
will be part of libc, so this layout seems more real. Some problems have
come out which I'm still working on. Good news is that probably I can
keep working on this project as a BSc thesis, which will allow me to
dedicate more time and go into deep details, review performance, etc.

Some words to resume the progress. Almost all encodings, which are used
in our locales are supported. I've also added some extras. There's a bug
in Big5 module, which makes it segfault. There are two (iirc) missing
encodings from the CP family. The foward encoding (to UTF-32) is of the
same quality as GNU iconv and GNU libc-icov but the reverse encoding
sometimes less punctual, there isn't such a good level of
transliteration. I'll need to look into it in detail.

Cheers,
Gábor