Low Watermark MAC (LOMAC) implementation for Linux

Ilmar S. Habibulin ilmar at ints.ru
Thu Oct 14 17:49:21 GMT 1999

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> We've got a little bit of a dilemma here. On one hand, we'd
> love to say that the extended attribuites of XFS are the way
> to go. On the other hand, we recognize that XFS may never be the
> default file system for Linux. For file systems other than XFS
> another mechanism may be required.
Can you point some url, describing this fs or somehow describe it by
yourself?

> So, until XFS is available, a file system independent scheme may
> be the most appropriate. I have attached (PostScript - sorry) a
> description of what we did before we had XFS. It's not actually
As i understand it is something like quotas in ffs, am i right? This
approach was proposed by Robert. I don't understand why my thoughts were
not supported? Is an idea of some improvements in ffs so terrible? ;-)

> very general, but a little smart coding could make it so. This
> description is also pretty old (it was last updated for the Trix
> 4.0.5 evaluation in 2/1995) and may not make much sense if you
> don't remember the bad old days of namei().
What was the problem?