Low Watermark MAC (LOMAC) implementation for Linux

Casey Schaufler casey at sgi.com
Thu Oct 14 16:36:54 GMT 1999

Ilmar S. Habibulin wrote:

> Now what should we do with extended file attributes?

We've got a little bit of a dilemma here. On one hand, we'd
love to say that the extended attribuites of XFS are the way
to go. On the other hand, we recognize that XFS may never be the
default file system for Linux. For file systems other than XFS
another mechanism may be required.

So, until XFS is available, a file system independent scheme may
be the most appropriate. I have attached (PostScript - sorry) a
description of what we did before we had XFS. It's not actually
very general, but a little smart coding could make it so. This
description is also pretty old (it was last updated for the Trix
4.0.5 evaluation in 2/1995) and may not make much sense if you
don't remember the bad old days of namei().

--

Casey Schaufler                         voice: (650) 933-1634
casey at sgi.com                           fax:   (650) 933-0170