FreeBSD 8.2 XENHVM Kernel on Xencloud

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre egoitz at ramattack.net
Wed Sep 21 07:31:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011, laurent.cligny at gmail.com wrote:

> I currently use XenCloud Platform 1.0 on a Dell R210 server hosting 4
> VMs. 3 FreeBSD 8.2 with XENHVM kernel and 1 Linux Debian. At first I was
> willing to have only FreeBSD VMs, but I had a strange problem when NAT
> was enabled on the front FreeBSD Vm that had the public IP address.
> Network bandwidth from backend FreeBSD VMs to Internet and from Internet
> to backend VMs was incredibly slow, tested with NAT feature of PF and
> with natd, same problem, also with GENERIC kernel. Bandwidth between all
> VMs was correct, only when passing the NATed public interface caused
> problem. That's why I put a Linux box for NAT, which is working
> perfectly now.

It would have been nice if you had tested (for the test only), one
physichal machine with FreeBSD doing nat and the other three vm under Xen
with FreeBSD, to see if problem persists...this way we could figure now if
the problem was something to do with Xen or with the own FreeBSD
configuration... although I assume the problem is in the last one...

> So far it was the only problem I had with FreeBSD and Xen Cloud Platform.
>
> My FreeBSD VMs are serving nginx + rails and python apps, PostgreSQL and
> MySQL databases, and the perf is good for now. VMs disks are LVM
> partitions of XenCloud, not files.
>

> Hope this helps.

Of course!!
Thanks a lot mate,