FreeBSD 8.2 XENHVM Kernel on Xencloud

laurent.cligny at gmail.com laurent.cligny at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 07:08:24 UTC 2011

Le 20/09/2011 18:21, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre a écrit :
> Good afternoon,
Good morning,

> The subject practically is saying what I'm trying to ask but... does
> anyone tried FreeBSD 8.2 or similar under Cytrix Xenserver or
> XenCloud?. I have been doing some benchmarks and seems to perform
> pretty nice... and seems to be stable too; the only thing would be
> nice to be available for FreeBSD at Xenserver/Xencloud would be the
> Xenserver/Xencloud's Xentools; although I assume Xentools are
> basically for having info of the ip of the machine (hostname, if the
> machine has been cloned...) and so... because I assume a xe migrate
> and so commands make use of lvm and so... for hot migrations and so...
> should work the same way although are not officially supported in the
> xenserver/xencloud https api.
>
> Has anyone ever had some experience with FreeBSD in this
> environments?. Which of them?, and which FreeBSD version?. The
> XenCloud version I tried is Xencloud 1.0, which makes use of :
>
> Includes Xen hypervisor version 3.4.2
> Includes Linux 2.6.32 privileged domain

I currently use XenCloud Platform 1.0 on a Dell R210 server hosting 4
VMs. 3 FreeBSD 8.2 with XENHVM kernel and 1 Linux Debian. At first I was
willing to have only FreeBSD VMs, but I had a strange problem when NAT
was enabled on the front FreeBSD Vm that had the public IP address.
Network bandwidth from backend FreeBSD VMs to Internet and from Internet
to backend VMs was incredibly slow, tested with NAT feature of PF and
with natd, same problem, also with GENERIC kernel. Bandwidth between all
VMs was correct, only when passing the NATed public interface caused
problem. That's why I put a Linux box for NAT, which is working
perfectly now.

So far it was the only problem I had with FreeBSD and Xen Cloud Platform.

My FreeBSD VMs are serving nginx + rails and python apps, PostgreSQL and
MySQL databases, and the perf is good for now. VMs disks are LVM
partitions of XenCloud, not files.

> Thank you very much.
> Good bye!.

Hope this helps.