Ryzen3-3200G - graphics

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Sat Sep 26 16:09:25 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-26 17:16, Vasilis Papadiamantopoulos wrote:
> Hi all,
> I hope yo are all doing well.
>
> I recently built a system with MSI B450 PRO-VDH MAX with a Ryzen-3 3200G with Radeon RX Vega 8 (picasso) [APU].
> I am running 12.1-RELEASE-p9
>
> I have to tell you that I am a FreeBSD newbie.
> I used the handbook and wiki to set up my Xorg and dwm.
>
> See below my installation steps:
>
> # pkg install xorg
> # pw groupmode video -m <myuser>
> # pkg install drm-kmod
> # vi /etc/rc.conf
> 	kld_list = “/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko”
>
> % vi /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf
> 	Section	“Device”
> 			Identifier	“Card0”
> 			Driver	“scfb”	*
> 	EndSection
>
> # pkg install dwm
> # pkg install dbus
> # vi /etc/rc.conf
> 	dbus_enable = “YES”
>
> % vi .xinitrc
> 	# start dwm
> 	exec dwm
>
> NOTE: With this setting I am able to launch dwm, serf the web and play youtube videos.
> * I tried Driver “amdgpu”
> The system gave me an ERROR UNSUPPORTED GPU.
> I started up my system with FURYBSD and checked their settings.
> This is how I found Driver “scfb” and managed to have graphics.
>
> Before buying the processor I read the forums and it seems that the 2200G is supported.
> I assume that as the system doesn’t complain about the amdgpu.ko at boot, after an update I will see my screen flickering while loading the module.
> Now nothing happens when it passes [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Is it just the chip not supported yet?
> If this is the case is there anything that i can do to help with the development of this support?
>
> Thank you for your time and effort.
> What you do for building and maintaining this high quality software is amazing.
>
> Best,
>
> Vasilis Papadiamantopoulos, PhD

Hi!
Can you provide the output from dmesg after you've loaded amdgpu.ko, as
well as Xorg.log from when X is failing, and `pciconf -lv | grep -A 4 vga` .
I think you need to upgrade to FreeBSD 13-current to get support for
Ryzen-3 3200G, but I know more once you've provided the details I asked for.
Regards
--
Niclas