Ryzen3-3200G - graphics

Vasilis Papadiamantopoulos vp at varchs.com
Sat Sep 26 15:42:12 UTC 2020

Hi all,
I hope yo are all doing well.

I recently built a system with MSI B450 PRO-VDH MAX with a Ryzen-3 3200G with Radeon RX Vega 8 (picasso) [APU].
I am running 12.1-RELEASE-p9

I have to tell you that I am a FreeBSD newbie.
I used the handbook and wiki to set up my Xorg and dwm.

See below my installation steps:

# pkg install xorg
# pw groupmode video -m <myuser>
# pkg install drm-kmod
# vi /etc/rc.conf
	kld_list = “/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko”

% vi /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf
	Section	“Device”
			Identifier	“Card0”
			Driver	“scfb”	*
	EndSection

# pkg install dwm
# pkg install dbus
# vi /etc/rc.conf
	dbus_enable = “YES”

% vi .xinitrc
	# start dwm
	exec dwm

NOTE: With this setting I am able to launch dwm, serf the web and play youtube videos.
* I tried Driver “amdgpu”
The system gave me an ERROR UNSUPPORTED GPU.
I started up my system with FURYBSD and checked their settings.
This is how I found Driver “scfb” and managed to have graphics.

Before buying the processor I read the forums and it seems that the 2200G is supported.
I assume that as the system doesn’t complain about the amdgpu.ko at boot, after an update I will see my screen flickering while loading the module.
Now nothing happens when it passes [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it just the chip not supported yet?
If this is the case is there anything that i can do to help with the development of this support?

Thank you for your time and effort.
What you do for building and maintaining this high quality software is amazing.

Best,

Vasilis Papadiamantopoulos, PhD