GPU selection

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Sep 21 17:14:45 UTC 2020

On 9/21/20 12:09 AM, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
> On 21/09/2020 00:45, Jan Beich wrote:
>> Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> writes:
>>
>>> With the new drm-kmod, is it possible to specify which card should be
>>> used for X11?
>> Do you mean BusID in xorg.conf(5) ?
>
> That's the reason why I am asking, in the new X11 there is no
> xorg.conf file. At least I don't seem to be able to find one. It's all
> configured automatically through mode setting if I understand this
> correctly?

You can still use an xorg.conf with xorg-1.20.x, but the recommend
method is to let auto-detection work.  what i do is drop configuration
snippets in /usr/local/etc/x11/xorg.conf.d/.  for example when testing
out adjustments to my GPU I have a file 10-amdgpu.conf which includes
the pertinent configuration section for that device - for example:

Section "Device"
     Identifier  "Card0"
     Driver      "amdgpu"
     BusID       "PCI:38:0:0"