GPU selection

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Mon Sep 21 07:09:07 UTC 2020

On 21/09/2020 00:45, Jan Beich wrote:
> Grzegorz Junka <list1 at gjunka.com> writes:
>
>> With the new drm-kmod, is it possible to specify which card should be
>> used for X11?
> Do you mean BusID in xorg.conf(5) ?

That's the reason why I am asking, in the new X11 there is no xorg.conf
file. At least I don't seem to be able to find one. It's all configured
automatically through mode setting if I understand this correctly?

>> For example, say I have two GPUs, a high-end NVidia that I would like
>> to use when booting Windows, and some older well supported AMD to work
>> with Wayland on FreeBSD.
> Disclaimer: I only have one GPU+display combo, so didn't test.
>
> Example scenarios:
> - Run Windows on NVIDIA GPU but use Hyper-V to expose AMD GPU to FreeBSD guest
> - Don't install x11/nvidia-driver: keep unused or expose to Windows guest
> - Use libglvnd from https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25020
>
> With libglvnd one can start a Wayland session on AMD GPU (e.g., for working)
> and a native X11 session on NVIDIA GPU (e.g., for gaming, screen sharing).
> Make sure WAYLAND_DISPLAY and DISPLAY defined in environ(7) don't leak between
> the sessions in order to avoid applications starting on the wrong monitor.

I was thinking more about using one card exclusively for Windows and one
for FreeBSD, but if I could use both with different drivers that could
be even more interesting. And I wasn't planning to do any HyperV, just
to boot to either FreeBSD or Windows.

GrzegorzJ