drm-*-kmod port for Comet Lake

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Wed Sep 9 15:31:11 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-09 16:37, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 7:10 AM Niclas Zeising
> <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se <mailto:zeising%2Bfreebsd at daemonic.se>> wrote:
>
>     On 2020-09-09 02:30, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>      > Thanks! As often happens, I got it working just a little after I
>     sent this
>      > report. The problem is that I installed from packages and i
>     didn't realize
>      > that the default xorg-server defaults to devd and does not
>     include the
>      > modesetting driver. I pulled down the ports tree and reinstalled
>      > xorg-server and that got X working.
>
>     This sounds like you have enabled DEVD manually in the ports options.
>     The xorg-server version distributed with FreeBSD 12 and 13 uses
>     udev/evdev, and the xorg-drivers meta package includes a dependency on
>     xf86-input-libinput.  The modeseteting driver is part of xorg-server.
>     Regards
>     --
>     Niclas
>

> Very odd, but I installed the package on Sunday (6-Sept.) and my system
> had no /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so. Only scfb
> and vesa. I built the port (once I had downloaded the ports tree) and it
> had the modesetting driver and X started up just fine. I was assuming
> that udev vs. devd was the issue, as that is the only option (other than
> wrapper). Is installing modesetting controlled by something else?

The modesetting driver should be built and installed in all cases, on
all versions of FreeBSD.  devd is still the default on FreeBSD 11, but
udev is the default on 12 and later.
If you still have the package (the actual .txz file) it might be
intereseting to see if modesetting_drv.so is in the file.  I find it
strange that it hasn't been installed by default.  There have been no
reports from the pkg build cluster about the xorg packages either.
Regards
--
Niclas