drm-*-kmod port for Comet Lake

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:37:29 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 7:10 AM Niclas Zeising <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se>
wrote:

> On 2020-09-09 02:30, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Thanks! As often happens, I got it working just a little after I sent
> this
> > report. The problem is that I installed from packages and i didn't
> realize
> > that the default xorg-server defaults to devd and does not include the
> > modesetting driver. I pulled down the ports tree and reinstalled
> > xorg-server and that got X working.
>
> This sounds like you have enabled DEVD manually in the ports options.
> The xorg-server version distributed with FreeBSD 12 and 13 uses
> udev/evdev, and the xorg-drivers meta package includes a dependency on
> xf86-input-libinput.  The modeseteting driver is part of xorg-server.
> Regards
> --
> Niclas

Very odd, but I installed the package on Sunday (6-Sept.) and my system had
no /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so. Only scfb and
vesa. I built the port (once I had downloaded the ports tree) and it had
the modesetting driver and X started up just fine. I was assuming that udev
vs. devd was the issue, as that is the only option (other than wrapper). Is
installing modesetting controlled by something else?
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com