Status of i5-3xxx graphics support

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Tue Nov 10 10:50:45 UTC 2020

On 2020-11-09 17:59, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Since, as I previously wrote, my Radeon cards are not working well with
> drm-kmod + radeonkms and I cannot seem to fix this, I'm evaluating what
> to do.
>

> I have another system with an i5-3470 (Ivy Bridge/HD Graphics 2500,
> isn't it?) that I could swap with the one I'm writing from.
> How is the status of its support?
>
> Is it supported by drm-kmod and the latest version of the graphic stack?
> Are there any known issues/limitation?
> Will it be supported for some time or is it already considered legacy?
>
> I have a Sandy Bridge Pentium laptop and it has always suffered from
> (not so) occasional screen tearing. Is this a known problem that would
> affect the i5 too?

This CPU and GPU should work fine with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod or
drm-current-kmod (depending on if you are on FreeBSD 12 or current).
I don't know about tearing issues, I have not experienced it myself to
any extent, across several versions of intel GPUs.

> Will it support dual monitor?

I see no reason it wouldn't.

> Out of curiosity, MB specs say:
> - 1 x HDMI® port with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @60Hz
> - 1 x DVI-D port with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @60Hz
> - 1 x VGA port with max. resolution up to 2048x1536 @75Hz
>
> I thought max resolution depended on the CPU, not the MB. Am I wrong?

VGA doesn't have the bandwidth to handle full HD resolution.

Regards
--
Niclas