xf86-video-ati-legacy port status

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Sat May 30 06:56:38 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-29 10:42, Niclas Zeising wrote:

> Unfortunately it is very hard to fix it.  There has been several changes
> in how xorg-server interacts with the xf86 drivers, and the version
> xf86-video-ati-legacy was based on was very old and not compatible with
> xserver 1.20.
> If anyone can make xf86-video-ati-legacy work with xserver 1.20 we can
> get the patches in, but I don't have the time to work on
> xf86-video-ati-legacy myself.

Agreed, but it's really the non-legacy version that should be fixed.

At a bare minimum, documentation should be updated to report what really
works (not what should work but doesn't).

As I said my integrated Radeon GPU does not work at all with new Xorg; I
found another Radeon card laying around and tried that: it's better but
still not there. Both are reported as "working" on the wiki.

Now, if I decided to go ahead and buy a new card, I wouldn't know what
to buy: I could check the wiki, get a card which is listed there and
discover I just wasted my money?

  bye
	av.

P.S.
BTW, I also have a laptop with CPU integrated Intel graphics: again,
it's listed as just working, but I had to step through hops to avoid
hangs and I still often get screen corruption.
So even if I decided to change the whole box and get an Intel CPU, I'm
not sure what to expect.