AMDGPU Picasso on Thinkpad X395

Cait Smith kit at hypostasis.com
Fri Mar 6 15:43:19 UTC 2020

Hej Bakul

> On 6 Mar 2020, at 06:13, Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am running FreeBSD on a Motile laptop, with a Ryzen 5 cpu pro 3500U. I was able to bring up X11 just once (on -current) and then it wouldn't work at all. And after rebuilding things now it panics! I tried 12.1 first but am now running -current. I tried both FreeBSDDesktop as well as drm-devel-kmod.
>
> Given that both X395 and Motile have the same processor I am hoping your setting will work for me.
> What revision of -current you are using? Also what version of drm-devel? Also output of kldstat would be great!
>
> Thanks!
> Bakul

I  tried the snapshots from 20200206 (I think - I had other issues around that time) 20200213 and 20200220 both seemed OK

That particular Xorg.log is r358358 - though I’ve not tested it extensively.

Apparently I didn’t save the kldstat in my notes. One thing I did early on was remove the VESA driver, because X seemed to be catching on it in startup, and that at least gave me the scfb driver working. Or that could have been magic (a random thing that actually had nothing to do with the effect :) )

Currently I have 12.1-RELEASEp2 with  the FreeBSDDesktop files

Once I’ve worked out what I want to do with my ZFS datasets I’ll rebuild anyway with multiple boot environments. This laptop will mostly be used for database and I’d rather not have to restore the current database build every time I mess up the OS config :)

—kit