AMDGPU Picasso on Thinkpad X395

Cait Smith kit at hypostasis.com
Tue Mar 3 14:33:32 UTC 2020

> On 3 Mar 2020, at 15:14, Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology> wrote:
>

> Mar 3, 2020 2:26:51 PM Cait Smith :
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I’ve been away from *BSD for a long while but I’m now throwing FreeBSD at a Lenovo Thinkpad X395
>
> Nice. Does suspend/resume work? I've heard that it does on Ryzen Mobile, but more confirmations would be good.

zzz worked the first time I tried it, and came back, but I only had a couple of consoles open.  I need to do more extensive checks once I have actual sessions running to see what works and doesn’t

>> I have had wifi and X running under a recent CURRENT and I am currently rebuilding a 12.1-RELEASE (I probably should have partitioned the drive and installed both for testing)
>
> ZFS boot environments. Forget anything you've ever heard about actual (GPT) partitions :)

Thank you for that - I’ve not used them before and still tend to think in terms of slices - it’s been a while. They do look like they’ll be a better option once I’ve got my head around them.

>> With CURRENT and drm-devel it picks up the GPU just fine (attached dmesg.boot) and I’m happy to play there, although I am no kernel hacker. I also can see the amdgpu/picasso firmware being loaded with 12.1-RELEASE and the drivers / firmware compiled and installed from FreeBSDDesktop, and I’m just now rebuilding xorg from ports to see how that goes.
>>
>> My question is this. What is my best course for moderate to reasonable stability and to best provide feedback (or testing)?
>>
>> I’m considering following CURRENT, following STABLE with a CURRENT kernel for the drm-devel port, or 12.1 RELEASE with manually added drm-v5.0. I’m beginning to think that CURRENT is probably cleanest, though I may want to drop some of the debug and test code so that I can get some work done :)
>
> Yeah, I use current with a non-invariants kernel (e.g. generic-nodebug) everywhere.

:)