Script to help find xorg configuration issues

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Tue Feb 25 17:42:09 UTC 2020

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 17:19:02 +0100
Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:

> On 2020-02-23 11:46, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> > On 2020-02-22 15:36, Michael Gmelin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've been helping others configuring X11 with UDEV/evdev for quite
> >> some time now. Since UDEV recently became the default option on
> >> 12.1[0], I thought that having something automated (yet
> >> non-intrusive) to help users fix their setup might be useful.
> >>
> >> To achieve this, I created a small/hacky script today that checks
> >> all the usual problems I found while helping people figuring out
> >> what's wrong with their setup.
> >>
> >> You can find it on github:
> >> https://github.com/grembo/xorg-udev-setup-check
> >>
> >> Direct download link:
> >> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/grembo/xorg-udev-setup-check/master/xorg-udev-setup-check.sh
> >>
> removed content
> >
> > Thank you for doing this!
>
> Indeed, this is a great script! Not only for all the embedded
> knowledge, but also a very nice design IMO - it's a pleasure to run
> it! I have no idea how anyone can get the new xorg-server with UDEV to
> work without something like this. For me, *no* input worked when I had
> installed the port - keyboard, mouse, touchpad, all dead. Not until
> the very last step that the script reported, upgrading my freshly
> pkg-installed xf86-input-libinput-0.28.2 to 0.28.2_1 from the port,
> did the input devices start working.
>
> If your links to the script are stable, perhaps they can be added to
> the pkg-message along with a bit of info? What is there now is really
> inadequate.

Hi Per,

Thank you for your feedback, the pull request you opened on github
(merged!), sharing your xmodmap configuration changes after switching
to UDEV, and especially your friendly and encouraging words.

In the meantime, I added a couple of features to the script, most
notably the possibility to "collect evidence" - basically the usual
configuration files, log files, and the output of a couple of commands
that one would usually ask for when supporting another user
(./xorg-udev-setup-check.sh -e). I tried to implement that in a
way that respects the user's privacy. README.md has more details on
this.

The link location is stable, but it might make more sense to place
it in a different location.

Cheers,
Michael

--