Script to help find xorg configuration issues

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sun Feb 23 16:19:14 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-23 11:46, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> On 2020-02-22 15:36, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been helping others configuring X11 with UDEV/evdev for quite some
>> time now. Since UDEV recently became the default option on 12.1[0], I
>> thought that having something automated (yet non-intrusive) to
>> help users fix their setup might be useful.
>>
>> To achieve this, I created a small/hacky script today that checks all
>> the usual problems I found while helping people figuring out what's
>> wrong with their setup.
>>
>> You can find it on github:
>> https://github.com/grembo/xorg-udev-setup-check
>>
>> Direct download link:
>> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/grembo/xorg-udev-setup-check/master/xorg-udev-setup-check.sh
>>
>> Usage: ./xorg-udev-setup-check.sh [-hdpi]
>>     -h print this help
>>     -d skip drm checks
>>     -p skip package version checks
>>     -i only show errors (suppress info)
>>
>> You should be able to run it as an unprivileged user - fixing things
>> will require root privileges though.
>>
>> I didn't test it thoroughly, so feel free to open pull requests
>> on github - functional improvements only please, don't try to improve
>> the code quality.
>
> Thank you for doing this!

Indeed, this is a great script! Not only for all the embedded
knowledge, but also a very nice design IMO - it's a pleasure to run
it! I have no idea how anyone can get the new xorg-server with UDEV to
work without something like this. For me, *no* input worked when I had
installed the port - keyboard, mouse, touchpad, all dead. Not until
the very last step that the script reported, upgrading my freshly
pkg-installed xf86-input-libinput-0.28.2 to 0.28.2_1 from the port,
did the input devices start working.

If your links to the script are stable, perhaps they can be added to
the pkg-message along with a bit of info? What is there now is really
inadequate.

Btw, after reading the "up arrow with xfce4" thread, I thought I
should verify that the arrows worked (I don't use them much) - and
found that my *left* and *down* arrows didn't work!:-) However this
turned out to be a botch in an xmodmap script of mine, which made
hardwired assumptions about the keycode values (one "shouldn't" do
that, but the script has worked for two decades with different PC
keyboards).

I.e. the keycode numbering and the default mappings keycode -> keysyms
(as output by 'xmodmap -pk') are radically different with UDEV, at
least on the laptop I was using (Lenovo ideapad 320). Hopefully this
tidbit can help someone else that has a "bad" xmodmap script and gets
strange results with UDEV.

--Per Hedeland